Moscow, Russia - Goodbye Europe

June 16, 2017

Destination 3/9
June 14 - 16
Where we stayed: Babushka Doll House

Transportation ⭐️⭐️⭐️
General costs  ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sights               ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Food                 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Accomodation ⭐️

Wednesday June 14
I had tried to check-in online several times the day before but it simply would not let me so we took the chance and went straight to the airport to check in there. We got to the airport around 12:00 and went to our check-in gate. In front of us there was a huge Russian family, I'm talking 13 people total including kids, parents and grandparents. We just stood there quietly trying to act normal while grandma starts crying and the kids are climbing all over the check in machinery. And so our Russian adventure begins!

We made it though the security check in Berlin, the police officer carefully looked through everyones passport before letting them into the waiting room for the flight. Landing in Russia we went through normal passport control, they had us sign a piece of paper and off we went. I've had so many people tell me the dramatic story of security checks in Russia, from having your bags emptied to a private strip search..... people, yes Russia is slightly terrifying but get a grip. My experience travelling to was every bit the same as any other country. As long as you have all of your documents in order you have nothing to worry about.

Standing in the airport looking at bus timings and train stops I thought I might as well ask how much a taxi would be. Sure enough it was $60 CAD straight to our hostel, SOLD! We already agreed that we would take public transport from the airport everywhere we go in exception of Moscow, Istanbul and Marrakesh. So we didn't feel guilty for not venturing out and temping our luck on a 1hr30min bus/train adventure. Maybe another time. Our taxi ride to our hostel was about 1hr15mins long, it was neat driving through the city and seeing the mixture of old and modern buildings.

Thursday June 15
Our luck of no rain was not on our side today. This morning we walked to a nearby cafe for some breakfast and then from there pushed on through the rain for a 30min walk to the Red Square. There was something going on because the road was blocked off and there was a line of people who looked to be waiting for something or someone. Not wanting to be in the way we took our pictures of the St. Basil's Cathedral and carried on along the street.  

We were now cold and wet so we stopped by the main mall to warm up. It had a beautiful interior and many beautiful shops including Prada, Louis Vuitton etc. We didn't stay long. 

Walking past the Red Square we admired the buildings and tried to find some shelter to get our bearing and plan our next move.